A DOG dressed as a giant mutant spider, a singing nun and the ice bucket challenge are the videos and topics that got us turning on and talking about in 2014.
Polish prankster Sylwester Wardega’s ‘giant mutant spider-dog’ topped video sharing site YouTube’s 2014 trending list, which is based on views, shares, comments and likes.
The video has had over 113 million views since it was posted in September and was the most discussed of the year.
However, that figure is dwarfed by singer Katy Perry’s Dark Horse video, which, with 715 million views, was the most watched of the year.
Other top trending topics on YouTube this year was a Nike World Cup commercial featuring Ronaldo and Neymar, a video showing a group of strangers kissing for the first time and Suor Cristina Scuccia, a nun who performed on the Italian version of The Voice.
Two Australians featured in YouTube’s most-watched music video clips of 2014, with Fancy,” Iggy Azalea featuring Charli XCX at number six and Chandelier by Sia at seven.
More than 350 million people had 3 billion interactions about the tournament, which drove more conversation than any other event in Facebook history.
The Presidential election in Brazil was third, making it most the most talked-about election of 2014.
From June 1 to Sept. 1, Facebook users shared more than 17 million videos related to the Ice Bucket Challenge, a campaign designed to raise awareness and money for amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, better known as Lou Gehrig’s disease.
Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg joined celebrities and everyday users alike to post videos of themselves getting dumped by ice water. All told, those videos were viewed 10 billion times by more than 440 million people. Former President George W. Bush had the most widely watched video, with more than 39 million views.
Sheryl Sandberg, Facebook’s chief operating officer, said the Ice Bucket Challenge marked an important milestone for Facebook — the explosion of video content on the site.
“I think the Ice Bucket Challenge was the first time a lot of people realised you could shoot a video and share it,” she said.
From July 29 to Aug. 27, the ALS Association raised $US94 million, compared with just $US2.7 million a year earlier.
YOUTUBE’S TOP 10 TRENDING VIDEOS OF 2014 (GLOBAL)
1. Mutant Giant Spider Dog, SA Wardega.
2. Winner Stays, Nike Football.
3. FIRST KISS by Tatia PIlieva.
4. Suor Cristina Scuccia, TheVoiceOf Italy.
5. iPhone 6 Plus Bend Test, Unbox Therapy.
6. Bars & Melody, Britain’s Got Talent.
7. Puppy Love, Budweiser.
8. Devil Baby Attack, DevilsDueNYC.
9. Goku vs. Superman, ERB.
10. 10 Hours of Walking in NYC as a Woman, Street
YOUTUBE’S TOP 10 MUSIC VIDEOS OF 2014 (GLOBAL)
1. Dark Horse, Katy Perry featuring Juicy J.
2. Bailando,” Enrique Iglesias featuring Descemer Bueno and Gente De Zona.
3. Can’t Remember to Forget You,” Shakira featuring Rihanna.
4. La La La,” Shakira featuring Carlinhos Brown.
5. Wiggle,” Jason Derulo featuring Snoop Dogg.
6. Fancy,” Iggy Azalea featuring Charli XCX.
7. Chandelier,” Sia.
8. Shake It Off,” Taylor Swift.
9. All About That Bass,” Meghan Trainor.
10. Anaconda,” Nicki Minaj.
MOST DISCUSSED TOPICS ON FACEBOOK (GLOBAL)
1. World Cup
2. Ebola Virus Outbreak
3. Elections in Brazil
4. Robin Williams
5. Ice Bucket Challenge
6. Conflict in Gaza
7. Malaysia Airlines
8. Super Bowl
9. Michael Brown/Ferguson
10. Sochi Olympics